Cooker: Large Round
Setting and cook time: HIGH for about 5 hrs; butter, half-and-half, sour cream, salt and pepper added during last 30 min.
– 5 # russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
– Broth to cover potatoes
– ½ c. (1 stick) butter
– 1 c. half-and-half
– ½ c. sour cream (don’t use nonfat)
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
– 8 oz. Bacon, cooked until crisp, drained on paper towels, and crumbled
– 6 green onions (white and green parts), sliced, or 3 Tbsp. Minced fresh chives
Put the potatoes in the slow cooker and add broth to cover. Cover and cook on HIGH until the potatoes are cooked and falling apart, about 5 hrs. Turn the cooker to LOW, add the butter, half-and-half, and sour cream, and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Cover and cook until hot, about 20 min. Place soup in batches and blend, reserving about 1 c. of potato chunks. After soup is blended, stir in reserved potato chunks, crumbled bacon, and sliced green onions. Serve immediately, or keep warm on LOW, adding water or milk to thin if necessary.
Taken from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker by Beth Hensperger.